Disclaimer * Note Legali

Sunday, October 25, 2009

My holiday in London (picture heavy!)

The usual pub where I used to have dinner, just next door to the hostel. I think it was called Red Lion


Our tube station!


The London Tube - Oxford Circus line

the usual tube station


monument in Green Park


On our way to Buckingham Palace



This is what the English people in Spar supermarkets call a calzone. To me, this is just soup into a rather heavy piece of bread. It was disgusting!


Me and my brother, Walter...we were eating that horrible calzone, if you can see our full mouths eheh

random face


In Piccadilly Circus

Yes, the usual Piccadilly photo

Me tasting English beer, which was said to be different, but to me was just another disgusting beer. Just like any other beer all over the world.
Next to me is a friend who joined me and my brothers.


self explanatory. I really think Carnaby Street and the whole Soho area is overrated.


Squirrel in Green Park

Close-up of the monument opposite Buckingham Palace. I love it!

Going to Buckingham

Sight of Trafalgar Square from the National Gallery (one of my favorite places in the whole world)
Trafalgar Square

Just different effects for the same view.

We stayed in Bayswater, which is sort of an immigrants area, mostly Arabs.
This is why we decided to tour around the many Arabian bars were you can smoke ashisha (don't know how it is written correctly) flavored tobacco and drink hot exquisite tea.
I was smoking apple tobacco there. I have never smoked a sigarette in my entire life, but I liked this!

Me and Walter after a few drinks

Me and my other brother Gia' after a few drinks dinner

Overall, I had the opportunity to see a complete different London than the one I visited last year.
Being in a different area, full of life and pubs, and little shops and very very near to downtown allowed us to try both the cultural and the night life in London.
We visited tons of pubs and bars.
London is huge, it is efficiently served by public transportations, is is fashionable, it is historical, it is wonderful...but I would never live there.
It's a huge city, so it's not for me. I'm not a fan of frantic life, and alienation. I witnessed too many fights, people snatching purses, people laying wounded on the tube train and no one does anything, cos let's face it, no one wants to get involved in this crap!
I've seen people coming to the hostel's internet point every day, at the same time, looking for dates or friendships over the net, and I don't mean hopeless people (the hopeless ones were the gay guy looking for hook ups and the possible rapist who wasn't really ashamed of visiting "hugeboobs.com" in front of everyone), but regular people. That is sad, and sounds like alienation to me. After my experience in Genoa, I promised myself I would have never moved to another huge city to live there anymore.

But for a vacation, London is one of the best places in the world! Been there twice now, and I always see something different.
I have to go catch a train now, I will leave you with a poem:


I wander thro' each charter'd street,
Near where the charter'd Thames does flow
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infants cry of fear,
In every voice: in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
Every blackning Church appalls,
And the hapless Soldiers sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls.

But most thro' midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlots curse
Blasts the new-born Infants tear,
And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse.

(London, William Blake)

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on cities - I love going to them and I need access to them every now and then but I could never live in one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for London! Glad you had a good time! And that calzone looks horrible- and like you said- it's nothing like a proper calzone!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! :)
    I love your photos! London is amazing! :D xx

    ReplyDelete