Disclaimer * Note Legali

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ellis Faas: a family affair

Some days ago, I received a lovely email advising me of a new video on the Ellis Faas youtube channel.
The video, called A Family Affair, displays Ellis's brother's - Thijs - face being used as a canvas for what I would call make-up paintings. In fact, Ellis was inspired by a triptych painted by Francis Bacon (who, for the record, is one of my all time favorite painters), so keep that in mind when you watch the short film.

Ellis herselfs asserts that

As a late teenager, I visited the Tate Gallery in London and was blown away by a Francis Bacon triptych. It made a great impression on me because of the use of colour - it was unnerving and stunningly beautiful at the same time. Bacon inspired many experiments I did over the years. I now think it has become something of my own and hasn't much to do with Bacon any more

For some reasons, some of the shots remind me of Joan Mirò and Jackson Pollock too. Can you see what I see there?
Anyway, the video is mesmerizing (she shot that herself, in her own house) and it is accompanied by some touching piano melody her own daughter Flavia composed especially for the occasion.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. If you are fond of paint and art in general, I know you will.

(Thanks Thijs for sending this through. I sincerely loved it)

1 comment: